Claudia

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: Claudia

Post by Kitty » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:09 pm

:lol: That IS odd! That episode was very weird.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm

Did I mention that I received the Claudia book? It's really great. The radio show is definitely closely related to the stories. I read the first chapter, and they already mentioned many of the instances in passing form that have been portrayed in the radio show. It's pretty surreal to have listened to the shows first and then read about them, making that connection between the references. It's pretty cool.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Which do you like best, the book or the radio series? Or is it hard to say?

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Well, I'm afraid to go too far in the book (spoilers!!), but I think I'll like them equally. Its great to hear the show first, though. The books are kind of written for people of Claudia's intellectualism... In other words a very easy read, but still interesting.

donnie

Post by donnie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:40 pm

Do you think the personalities of Claudia and the other characters are portrayed on the show as they are in the book?

Btw, I’m through 61, the pipe shopping episode. That was a nice one. I liked Mr. Cavendish.

Another observation— doesn’t the actress who plays Julia have an unusual voice? So deep and “rich” and velvety. I wonder if she looks like her voice sounds? :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:07 am

Julia's voice is perfect to portray a rich type without getting too snooty.
I would have to read more, but I think that Claudia is portrayed as a bit more clueless than she seems in the show, and David seems maybe like he thinks a lot more of himself compared to her.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 am

I'm at 120. Some interesting things coming up and also curious things of the time are discussed. I tried to stop for a few days so you could catch up, but that only lasted a day!

donnie

Post by donnie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Kitty wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 am
I'm at 120. Some interesting things coming up and also curious things of the time are discussed. I tried to stop for a few days so you could catch up, but that only lasted a day!
:lol: Thanks, but you go ahead and lead the way. I'll be along behind you. I'm somewhere around 68 or so—after New Years. I'm glad that Chicago thing didn't work out; I didn't want them to leave the old neighborhood. Not sure about that great dane in a four room apartment on the 12th floor, though. A barking great dane and with a kitten. We'll see how long that lasts!

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:35 am

It's amazing how quiet that great dane is! I'm sort of glad they didn't go to Chicago, too, but it sure would have been interesting too see how it would have gone.

donnie

Post by donnie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:58 pm

I'm through No. 84 now. I'm with Claudia on this house thing. She is so happy in the apartment building with the nice Fritz and Bertha, and loves her life in the city near her mother. That house sounds depressing, off in the middle of nowhere where she will be lonely and have to manage a whole house and farm while trying to have a baby. I think they ought to stay right where they are. So there. :)

However, I feel this is probably not the way things are going to go. I'll find out shortly, I guess.

Roger and his big mouth.

I will have to say that it's partly Claudia's fault, though. That was an inexplicably boneheaded move, gloating over the house like that when she saw it.