Complete Broadcast Day

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Complete Broadcast Day

Post by Kitty »

Ever wanted to know exactly what a normal broadcast day was like back in the old days of radio? Well, what if I told you that you can experience that quite easily? Nope, you don't need a time machine, you just need an electronic device that can play mp3 files. Here is an amazing real-life honest-to-goodness broadcast day from September 21, 1939. This is one of the coolest things that exist in this world..... So..... Enjoy! :)

https://archive.org/details/CompleteBroadcastDay

Edit: I was directed by a patron of Old Time Radio Lovers Facebook group to this much better sound version of this wonderful broadcast.

https://archive.org/details/001WakeUpMusic
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Complete Broadcast Day

Post by donnie »

This is an amazing treasure indeed. I've still got it on my iPhone from a few months ago, have never completed listening to it yet—actually I forgot about having it, so I'm glad you posted this.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Good :) even if you just listen to the sundial part it's really something beautiful.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Please look at the original post of this thread. There is an edit that will be of interest!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Around 35 minutes or so on the second track of the newer link I posted, Arthur Godfrey mentions a doll called Sunny Jim that you could send for to a cereal company. Well, this is what he's talking about!
Attachments
582.jpg
582.jpg (98.99 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
2006BG2412_jpg_ds.jpg
2006BG2412_jpg_ds.jpg (15.65 KiB) Viewed 6169 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This morning I am up earlier than I normally am, so I've decided to skip ahead to the time it is now and listen to this broadcast. Sigh. It doesn't get much better than this. ☺️🤣

donnie

Post by donnie »

I listened to some parts of this today that I hadn't heard before - The Major Bowes Amateur Show, The Parker Family, Joe E. Brown, and also The Goldbergs. Now I'll never know how that Goldbergs plot turned out... :cry:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Actually, I don't think I've gotten past Sundial. I love the music so much that I always just start from the beginning and then before I know it, two hours have past!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, there's still a lot I haven't listened to. I need to go back and listen to the sundial part again—I remember enjoying it, but have forgotten what's on it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm listening to this again so that whenever he says the time it correlates to our time. Fun! In My Merry Oldsmobile just played.

I just realized that there are a couple songs from The Wizard of Oz on this recording. The film had just come out less than a month before.

P. S. I am really starting to wish I could see that fun boat race they're talking about for tomorrow.