Buck Rogers Space Rangers Kit

Commercials from old time radio or television.
Kitty

Buck Rogers Space Rangers Kit

Post by Kitty »

This is being advertised by Sylvania on the original Beat the Clock. I wish I could share a video for this, but I can't find any! There are multiple in-episode commercials for this, and it is so neat! The announcer dresses up in the costume and they are just FUN!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Buck Rogers Space Rangers Kit

Post by donnie »

:D Despite that being on for so many years, I don't think I ever saw it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:04 pm
:D Despite that being on for so many years, I don't think I ever saw it.
It's totally ridiculous, but fun to watch. I think people literally sat in their living room looking around for things they can make people do stunts with! Seriously, one of the stunts that I saw today was this: The husband and wife contestants were to push two balloons through the host's (Bud Collyer) arms as he stood in a Robin Hood pose.
It just occurred to me that you may have meant Buck Rogers. In that case, me either! :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

No, it was Beat the Clock I meant. Sounds pretty zany! I've not seen Buck Rogers either, though.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

For some reason, it never occurred to me to look the kit up online! Well it just did, so here it is, selling for a whopping $256 in Canadian money. This one is in the original packaging and has never been played with. I don't really know if I'd want it if it hadn't been played with, though.

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/1952-Buck-Rogers- ... Swp41bGU6w

donnie

Post by donnie »

How about that! I love the illustrations on the box.

Why would the fact that it had not been played with make it less interesting for you?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I like the thought that toys and books or other things I might collect have been used and loved. I like to imagine what the lives of the people who enjoyed it might have been like. There's none of that imagining if the thing is brand new! 🙂 That being said, I won't buy a thing if I know it's an incomplete set or doesn't have all the pages.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:06 pm
I like the thought that toys and books or other things I might collect have been used and loved. I like to imagine what the lives of the people who enjoyed it might have been like. There's none of that imagining if the thing is brand new! 🙂 That being said, I won't buy a thing if I know it's an incomplete set or doesn't have all the pages.
Yes, I understand what you mean. I used to be into coin collecting—never really formed that much of a collection—but part of the fascination of that is imagining the coin's history, where it's been, who owned it, what they did with it.

I have a 1798 penny—they were very large and heavy back in those days, between today's quarter and 50¢ piece in size. It's not really of that much value because it's in very worn condition—but I like to look at it and realize that it could have actually been in George Washington's pocket. Highly unlikely, but fascinatingly possible!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Cool! Yes, when I find a coin from the 20s floating around I always joke that maybe Mary Pickford or Lillian Gish might have had it in their pocket. 😃
Regarding the penny, my dad is a coin collector, and loves those pennies of the era you mention. If you want to, please post a picture of it. I'm curious what yours looks like.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:18 am
Regarding the penny, my dad is a coin collector, and loves those pennies of the era you mention. If you want to, please post a picture of it. I'm curious what yours looks like.
I love those early large cents and also the half cents, too. They were very attractive and interesting coins.
I'm a lousy coin photographer, but here it is. You can see that almost all the main design on the obverse is gone, but the "1798" is still readable.
Attachments
IMG_1841.JPG
IMG_1841.JPG (105.51 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
IMG_1840.JPG
IMG_1840.JPG (152.27 KiB) Viewed 5901 times